I discovered this past week that my mom is not really "my mom" anymore. Hard to swallow, hard to come to terms with this fact. Unfortunately Alzheimer's has taken over her life and watching her struggle for every thought and memory was so amazingly sad, frustrating and taxing on us both. I was "the help" not really her daughter during our time together.
My mom turned 88 on the 21st and as I took her into the rehab center to see my dad that morning (he had knee surgery), a small miracle occurred.
My Dad started singing "Happy Birthday" to her and for a solid minute, she was back. A huge smile came over her face and almost a giggle came out of my mom as they shared a tender moment together. That moment of love between my parents is one I will never forget.
Thursday, June 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ireva,
This made me cry . . . it's like Ally & Noah in The Notebook! How I love Wat & Norma. Wish we could've gotten together that week - sorry we couldn't make it happen. Love ya, Grandsister!
Post a Comment