Friday, July 31, 2009

Four More Days...

The shopping is done! We spent the last $180 today for last minute toiletries etc. etc., so now all that is left is hiking tomorrow in Zion Narrows, one last Sunday and then Monday will be packing, a FHE family dinner at “Haven” (yummy place in STG) and then the setting apart later Monday night! Four more days and then “our baby Lerin” is off to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints for eighteen months. Wow…..we can’t believe the time has come to “drop her off at the curb” (Lerin got a letter stating that we could say a quick goodbye as they take her luggage) at the MTC. What is up with that?! Oh well… We heard this may make the “good-bye’s” easier and less stressful for both missionary and family.


Lerin’s “farewell” talk was last Sunday. She did a remarkable job and all who were there we are sure felt her testimony of the gospel, love for the Lord and excitement for missionary work. It was especially poignant to see our oldest daughter who has struggled with her testimony, feel the spirit as her little sister spoke. We know that Lerin’s service will bless our family in so many ways. We were so touched that many friends and family supported her by attending the church service or wished her well with cards, gifts and flowers. We feel so blessed and are so eternally grateful that so many love our children as much as we do. Lynn’s sister Sandy, her husband and all three of their kids as well as spouses and grandkids came all the way from Syracuse, Riverton and Lehi. His other sister was out of town, but she sent Lerin a thoughtful note and card. We are so thankful for Lynn’s sisters and how they support us and our family in so many ways. We also had several friends from Kaysville show up—The Shaw family, The Rowley family and The Hunger family (the Bitner’s and Morgan’s were there in spirit…Trent Morgan’s mission report was the same day!) came. What incredible friends we have had through the years. Many of Lerin’s friends and roommates from up north also made the trip as well. They are all such a close and supportive group of girls – WE LOVE THEM all like our own daughters!

As we contemplate the coming week, our gratitude can’t really be spoken in words. We didn’t think we would ever have the opportunity to be the parents of a missionary. Our hearts are full. We are thrilled for Lerin and are so grateful for the way she has lived her life. She is such a positive example to all who know her and most importantly her testimony of the gospel is strong and unwavering.

A parting scripture for the missionary …. and the parents!



But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul.

3 comments:

Kiana Don said...

I am still in COMPLETE denial! I don't think it will hit me until I go to text her and then I'll remember! I am so glad I lived w/ Lerin and felt her remarkable spirit and witness her strong testimony! I love the Twins SO much and I am so glad that I can still come down on some Sundays to still see you! Love you all!

Tonya said...

Congratulations Jill! What an awesome milestone for you and your family.

Melanee said...

I missed coming to hear Lerin. I didn't know it was last Sunday Jill. I am so sorry. I wanted to come so bad. I can't believe it's time to send her on her way.
Lerin will do such a great job as a sister missionary. I'm so proud of her!
Hang in there at departure time. I know it will be very hard for you! Know that Heavenly Father will watch over her every minute of every day!
Love you Jill :)