Monday, October 26, 2009

Fish Lake High Top Summit!

This past weekend Lynn and I decided to take on an adventure with some friends of ours, Paul and Janet. We spent time in Capitol Reef National Park, Boulder, Escalante, Hells Back Bone area, Torrey and finally Fish Lake High Top. We hiked to the highest summit in Sevier County -- 11, 633 feet! After several hours and miles hiking in the FREEZING COLD (yes, there was snow), we found the huge rock with the geological marker and large wooden cairn. Paul was our GPS navigator and he did a terrific job I must say -- although we doubted his abilities several times. We did have a blast and are so glad Janet and Paul put us up for the challenge!
YES, it was cold and we found snow at the top of the summit! The sun came out for only five minutes, right we found the marker. So, I was able to capture this photo with this gorgeous view.
We posted our success in a jar under the cairn, next to the US Geological metal marker signing our names, the date and the fact that we were all over 50! We were the fourth group to find this peak in 2009 according to the jar we found with the names of other hikers.

Lynn and I taking a break after hiking in Capitol Reef -- What a view it was!

Lynn was our "deer whisperer!" This is how we like to Deer Hunt.



Janet and I just 'chillin' and 'restin' in some holes!



2 comments:

Dan Flake Family said...

Looks like a great weekend! You guys are amazing to hike up to that high elevation. It is so fun to explore the beautiful state of Utah.

Melanee said...

Your trip sounded amazing. We are so lucky to live in such a beautiful area.
Happy Holidays to you & your wonderful family!
Enjoy your break from work.
Love you tons,
Melanee